Second Rate Christmas Films


Channel 5 have been showing Christmas films this year (2022) so I thought I'd check some out. I watched the following - Random Acts of Christmas, A New England Christmas, Christmas in Vienna, The Christmas Toy Maker, Christmas in Harmony and Three Sisters at the Christmas Chateau. They all have Christmas in the title, plenty of snow and Christmas trees and decorations, carefully thought through Christmas music, etc. They are all made for TV I think and often have alternative titles. What I had not expected quite was that all the ones I have seen have been romantic comedies. I find this genre unsatisfying as whatever problems come along you know that the couple highlighted are going to be together by the end. I would guess that the closer to Christmas you get the better these film would be. They are quite wholesome, even having a Christmas veneer in some cases. I notice that Hallmark made more then one of them. They are designed for people with nothing better to do, I guess. For some reason the actors tend to be in their thirties rather than twenties and so there always need to be some back story to explain why they are still single. Always lots of kids too, understandably.